Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hex Editors

Page: 1 of 1
 En liten mus
08-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi i whant to make my custom retexture stick to my custom item.
I Know you need a Hex Editor to do this and i was wondering, What Hex editor is best? and what Would be the most simple to use and simple to understand?

I cant deside... i used google and typed in Hex Editors and i got Many many results.

Hey what Hex editors do you use? Maby you can send it to me :D

:p Hex Editors :p

Not A spoiler!!:

En Liten Mus
 Fred Tetra
08-25-2004, 1:30 PM
One I like is Hex Workshop 4.23. You can get it at: http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/) The downside is the high cost.
 tk102
08-25-2004, 1:30 PM
Yeah, what Fred said...
 shosey
08-25-2004, 1:42 PM
wow, $50 is a bit steap! Any cheaper reccomendations?

I've used WinHex a couple of times, but I'm sure there are much better editors available.
 Darth333
08-25-2004, 1:42 PM
Next time read the stickies ;) You would have find the link in the Guide for the Newbie.
 En liten mus
08-25-2004, 1:50 PM
I mean a free one...i dont have american currencyt and i dont feel like paying about 500 kr for somthing that im not gona use that much..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$To EXpensive :D $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

EDIT:

FRED clean out your in box...its full i couldent send you a pm :p :p
 cchargin
08-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Hello all,

Try out XVI32. This is the hex editor I used to figure out the model format. It is totally free.

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/)
 RedHawke
08-26-2004, 1:47 AM
^^^^
What Cchargin said... XVI32 is the one I use as well. :D
 svцsh
08-26-2004, 1:48 AM
It’s free and great just set your options to system font before you open any mdl files or the characters will be funky... like matrix symbols. hope this helps.

Hexplorer

http://artemis.wszib.edu.pl/~mdudek/) the site

the dl link for windows

http://artemis.wszib.edu.pl/~mdudek/moje/hex_setup.exe)

svцsh
 En liten mus
08-26-2004, 1:54 AM
I think i alredy looked on The XV somthing :D Editor but never really downloaded it...

Hhe il give it a shot :D
 Fred Tetra
08-26-2004, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by En liten mus
I mean a free one...i dont have american currencyt and i dont feel like paying about 500 kr for somthing that im not gona use that much..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$To EXpensive :D $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

EDIT:

FRED clean out your in box...its full i couldent send you a pm :p :p

Thanks! :rolleyes: Didn't know....
 DarkBlade2Z
08-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I downloaded KT tool and I was making a custom lightsaber, (Dropped my armor idea for now), Using Achilles Saber Walkthrough...but ran into a snag. I don't have a Hex editor, I guess I missed that little tidbit of info. Did one come with KT tool that I just didn't see or do I need to find one elsewhere. Actually I tried that, but they had no 'Find Text' function. Any known good ones?

-----
:mauls: REVENGE :wan:....LATER!
 svцsh
08-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Look at this thread started just yesterday

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134390)

Sorry if I sound like a broken record ;) this what I use It’s free and great
just set your options to system font before you open any mdl files or the characters will be funky... like matrix symbols.
hope this helps.

svцsh

Hexplorer

http://artemis.wszib.edu.pl/~mdudek/) the site

the dl link for windows

http://artemis.wszib.edu.pl/~mdudek/moje/hex_setup.exe)
 Darth333
08-27-2004, 12:49 AM
I have merged the two threads since it was exactly the same subject.

Please, before posting make the effort of:

1. looking at the stickies - read the "Guide for the Newbie", you will find all the tools you need to mod Kotor, per category . You will find it in the stickies at the top of the page.

2. checking the "Do you want to mod SWKotor" sticky for tutorials, also at the top of the fisrt page

3. looking at the first page of threads and using the search function

Modders do invest a lot of time and efforts making those guides and tutorials so please, have a look at them, before asking. You would have find everything you need up there.

After reading, if something is not clear, then ask your questions, I am sure people will be happy to answer them :)

Thanks
 En liten mus
08-27-2004, 9:09 AM
grrrr...

Humf :mad:

;)
 DarkBlade2Z
08-27-2004, 5:07 PM
Lol, sorry guys! I didn't notice the other thread.

------
:mauls: Revenge? :wan: Still later!
 Xavier2
08-29-2004, 8:37 PM
It may sound a bit stupid, but why do i need a Hex editor?

I'm still in my modding early days, but all i know so far is:
1-CChargin MDLops can extract, and convert the Models files (.mdl);
2-Once converted to anscii-mdl, i can use GMAX to make changes to the model and, hoppefully, export it back to KOTOR without messing the animations too much;
3-I can extract the textures with Kotor tool, automatically converting the original format, .tgc to .tga, so i can use for example, Photoshop to change that skin.

Am i missing something?
 RedHawke
08-29-2004, 8:50 PM
Originally posted by Xavier2
It may sound a bit stupid, but why do i need a Hex editor?

I'm still in my modding early days, but all i know so far is:
1-CChargin MDLops can extract, and convert the Models files (.mdl);
2-Once converted to anscii-mdl, i can use GMAX to make changes to the model and, hoppefully, export it back to KOTOR without messing the animations too much;
3-I can extract the textures with Kotor tool, automatically converting the original format, .tgc to .tga, so i can use for example, Photoshop to change that skin.

Am i missing something?

You will need a Hex Editor to edit a model to point it to your custom texture instead of overwriting all of the textures in the game.

For example you want to make a blue Obi-Wan-esque lightsaber you extract the w_lghtsbr_001.mdl and w_lghtsbr_001.mdx and you have your new modified skin w_Lghtsbr_091.tga and the w_Lghtsbr_091.txi to go with it.

You will have to use a Hex Editor on the w_lghtsbr_001.mdl and edit the 8 or so instances of the w_Lghtsbr_001 to your new w_Lghtsbr_091 so the new model you are using will point toward your new texture, that has to be done with a Hex Editor as far as I know.
 Xavier2
08-29-2004, 9:36 PM
Originally posted by RedHawke
You will need a Hex Editor to edit a model to point it to your custom texture instead of overwriting all of the textures in the game.

Oh---My---God!!! Wish i had never taked that red pill...I think i saw the architect laughing at me behind that Hexeditor.
*sigh* well... now that you've folowed that rabbit Alice, better hold your guts, cuz brains... are going bye-bye!!!

That said, a step by step, very detailed in the Hex editor part, using the Obi-Wan example would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.
 Achilles
08-29-2004, 9:47 PM
That said, a step by step, very detailed in the Hex editor part, using the Obi-Wan example would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. ClumsyClayson and I spent quite a bit of time going over this the other day in this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129450&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) thread. This should answer any questions that you have. If not, let us know.
 cchargin
08-30-2004, 9:26 AM
Hello all,

I just wanted to point out that you must use the hex editor method on lightsabers (and any model that has animations) cuz mdlops can't handle them right now.

But for other models that mdlops can handle, like swords and blasters, you can use your 3D modelling program to change the texture.

For quick texture name changes I think the hex editor method is easier though.
 Xavier2
08-30-2004, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by cchargin
Hello all,
I just wanted to point out that you must use the hex editor method on lightsabers (and any model that has animations) cuz mdlops can't handle them right now.
But for other models that mdlops can handle, like swords and blasters, you can use your 3D modelling program to change the texture. For quick texture name changes I think the hex editor method is easier though.
How do you think Orsan did that beautiful Obi-Wan PC face. I was able to extract it to GMAX, and realized it is really a Carth head, with a modified chin, nose and lips. A state of the art work really. I managed to see also that the blonde hair and beard comes from the .tga file not the .mdl. I suppose the head comes with animation, since even the eyes are separated forms.

Also i noticed prime's robes MOD doesn't have a .mdl, .txi and any other file than the .tga for the Movie Style skin and the .uti for the properties, although they are unique items in the game. So when i get to use that matrix like Hexeditor and when it's unnecessary.
 Achilles
08-30-2004, 3:36 PM
Also i noticed prime's robes MOD doesn't have a .mdl, .txi and any other file than the .tga for the Movie Style skin and the .uti for the properties, although they are unique items in the game. So when i get to use that matrix like Hexeditor and when it's unnecessary.
Prime's robes are very intricate reskins so they do not require mdl's (because they use the existing models). They do not have txi files because they do not have a shader. Addtionally, utc files are only necessary if you are assigning unique properties to the robes. At no point was it necessary for Prime to hex edit any file to make his robes.

I hope this helps to clarify.
 Xavier2
08-30-2004, 5:53 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Addtionally, utc files are only necessary if you are assigning unique properties to the robes. At no point was it necessary for Prime to hex edit any file to make his robes.

You mean .uti, not .utc right?
 Achilles
08-30-2004, 5:59 PM
You mean .uti, not .utc right?
Yes.
Page: 1 of 1